It was a fun adventure creating these prints! With no set intention for the finished product, I started with a block of wood I carved of a partial impression of a fish. First I printed a repeat pattern of the block in orange ink. Next I printed some loose monotype plates, using the thickened dyes I print the scarves with – intending a watery feel. Too strong! The monotype plate picked up from the damp paper a ghost of the orange block print. That print was so much quieter – but I couldn’t leave it alone. Another monotype plate went over it.
I set the prints aside for a few weeks – the strong colors and random patterns were hard to look at it! I couldn’t imagine how I would salvage them. Eventually, I inked up the woodcut and chose areas to print over, cropping the larger prints in to a dozen or so the size of the woodcut 5×7. I played with color and printing sometimes using a barren, sometimes using the press.